Senior Director of DevelopmentCompany: SPCA Tampa Bay
Date Posted: February 26, 2016
About the SPCA Tampa Bay
Founded in 1940, SPCA Tampa Bay is the leading advocate for the humane treatment of animals in the greater Tampa Bay area. There is a joyous interaction between humans and animals, we call it “humanimality”. We are working to spread the humanimality across the greater Tampa Bay area and strengthen our institution. Our organization improves our community by promoting humane care, preventing animal cruelty and reducing pet overpopulation, and our mission is strongly supported by animal lovers in the region. Expansion is underway, as well, as we are currently building a new veterinary hospital in St. Petersburg to provide accessible veterinary care that helps keep families together.
The SPCA has grown under dynamic management and leadership in the last few years to a budget of $4.8 million. We have developed a complex and sophisticated funding base.that includes earned revenue, individual, corporate, foundation and planned giving funding.
About the Tampa Bay Area
Listed in CNN Money as one of the Top 10 Places People are moving to in the US in 2014. It is a diverse, vibrant and growing coastal area that includes major cities of St. Petersburg, Tampa, Clearwater and others. The median income is $56,800.
About this Position: The Senior Director of Development will provide leadership, innovation and direction for all development, marketing, and community outreach activities and special events. A key objective is to ensure a broad base of funding resources.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Plan, develop, implement, direct, evaluate and ensure accountability for all development activities including major gifts, donor contacts, direct mail, planned giving, special events and annual campaigns based on a formalized development strategy.
- Lead a team of seven development and marketing staff with four direct reports.
- Plan, develop, implement, direct, evaluate and ensure accountability for all strategies of organizational brand identity and marketing, public relations, media relations and graphic standards.
- Manage vendor relationships for all promotional/marketing support including electronic media.
- In concert with CEO establish annual goal for funding of shelter operations, services, programs and special projects.
- Establish metrics to ensure effective use of fundraising resources, and increase fundraising capacity annually.
- Oversee development and maintenance of appropriate systems including but not limited to volunteer/donor management, research, cultivation, gift processing and recognition of an active donor base of over 10,000+ donors.
- Participate in the Board of Directors Development Committee and establish and manage other volunteer committees related to annual fund activities as appropriate
- Establish, monitor and update as necessary the standards and protocols for annual fund and special events activities.
- Recruit, select, supervise, evaluate and train or ensure training of direct reports.
- Provide direction and assist in the recruitment, selection and evaluation of other department staff.
- Provide and evaluate pertinent data for monthly/annual dashboard data and trend reports.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep, and ensure department staff keep accurate and updated records in appropriate shelter software.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings, special events and fund raising functions.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Licensure or Certification:
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record.
- CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) designation preferred
- Minimum of 7 years professional non-profit fundraising and marketing experience, with an emphasis on fund raising.
- A proven track record of sustained income development through annual and planned giving, direct mail, special events and major/capital gift cultivation.
- Minimum of 5 years direct management experience with proven track record of developing strategies and goals and leading others to accomplish those goals.
- Demonstrated Competencies:
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising competency.
- Demonstrated experience with donor base segmentation and implementation of moves management programs that result in growing the number of donors at higher giving levels.
- Superior time management skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with other employees, board members, community members, volunteers and donors.
- Strong analytical and financial skills, including problem solving and critical thinking.
- Integrity and ability to build trust relationships and to communicate in an open and transparent manner.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated oral, written and spokesperson presentation skills.
- Strong leadership and management skills including ability to achieve results through others.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Pet Point and Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to operate computer, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Moderate physical effort – regularly lifting or moving less than 50 pounds.
- Walking and prolonged sitting and standing.
- Stopping, kneeling, bending and crouching.
- Carrying, pushing and/or pulling.
- Facility operations include areas of high noise levels.
- Limited exposure to animal feces, dust bites and potential for scratches and bites.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Community outreach in a variety of environments including indoor and outdoor.
- Ability to travel throughout the Tampa Bay area.
- Reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass required background checks.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Armando Zumaya, Consultant at AandAEastBay@outlook.com. Please do not contact SPCA staff. The search will be open until the position is filled.
For more information on SPCA Tampa Bay, visit spcatampabay.org.